Always will be sponsoring the donation of sports bras to underprivileged girls through its partnership with GOP (Girls Only Project) *. They’re doing this to highlight the fact that many girls cite the lack of feeling comfortable and confident as a reason for dropping out of sports.
Earlier this year, around the time of the Olympics, Always ran the third part of its #LikeAGirl campaign that highlighted the issues around confidence and sports for girls. Data from the most recent Always Confidence & Puberty Survey shows that by the end of puberty, half of girls surveyed (51 percent) will have quit sports. Despite the known benefits of playing sports, girls reported that they didn’t feel like they belonged in sports. Further, 67 percent of girls felt that society does not encourage them to play sports.
In addition, research by local organisation Girls Only Project (GOP) shows that another factor related to a girl’s lack of confidence when playing sports is due to not having proper sports bras. The girls surveyed often mentioned breasts as an issue when discussing participation in sport. Because the bras are so expensive, girls simply don’t wear them and either don’t want to play sport because of this, or play but are incredibly uncomfortable and self-conscious.
Always’ mission is to stop the drop-in confidence that girls experience during puberty. They will consider this movement to be successful if they make people aware of the shockingly high number of girls who are quitting sports every day, and rally society to encourage girls that they do belong in sports and should keep playing #LikeAGirl – because sports help build girls’ confidence, especially at the critical stage of puberty.
I for one know exactly how these girl’s feel, I’ve been in the same situation, where I found that bras were too expensive and basically just didn’t bother purchasing them. I was never the sporty type but I love gym and this was an issue that came up when I started shopping for workout wear. It always made me uncomfortable not wearing the proper bra. I recently went braless for a day and recorded it, the braless trend is not only the most comfortable thing on earth but it’s now a fashion trend too. You can have a look at my braless article here.
• 50 million girls around the globe enter puberty every year, experiencing transformative changes at a critical life stage that is often filled with self-doubt.
• An Always survey revealed that the start of puberty and the first period mark the lowest moments in confidence for girls. More than half of girls surveyed lose confidence during puberty and many never fully recover.
• 7 out of 10 girls feel they don’t belong in sports; 67% of girls feel that society does not encourage them to play sports.
• By age 17, at the end of puberty, half of girls (51%) will have quit sports.
• 7 in 10 girls say there aren’t enough female role models in sports today.
• Two-thirds of girls agree that playing sports brings them increased confidence.
GOP will be handing over the bras to the young girls at Wigen Heights on Wednesday, 2 Nov and Luthyi School in Hammersdale on Thursday, 3 November.